Task 5.2 “Critical Thinking: The Soul of Communication”

 Task 5.2 “Critical Thinking: The Soul of Communication”


How do you see communication and critical thinking impacting your

future role as a leader in the workplace. (150-200 words)


It is my responsibility to apply critical thinking to ensure the first line of good communication. What platform do I use? What is the hierarchy of communication? How should a message be structured?

One particular example I find useful is standardised verbal communication of numbers. In the Air Force I was taught the NATO phonetic alphabet to avoid verbal miscommunication. Numbers have a specific way to be pronounced, 3 is pronounced tree or 9 as niner and each number is also required to be said separately 39(tree-niner).

When I worked in FnB there are times where miscommunications happen as there are no formal standards. Forty-nine and fifty-nine are often confused, colleagues with heavy accents are hard to understand and sometimes Chinese is used to communicate numbers.

I used these examples to emphasize that while working in a more standardised aviation job I never had verbal communications issues compared to a less standardised FnB job.

Therefore, like how most aviation companies eliminate this potential source of miscommunication by applying a standard means of communication, it is my responsibility to apply critical thinking to create standards and eliminate potential sources of miscommunication in my organisation.

194 words

Regards,

Joshua

Comments

Popular Posts