Critical reflection of UCS1001
Module learning
In this module Critical Thinking and Communicating, I learnt how to think and write critically. While knowing how to critically critique my sources has always been on the back of my head, I never found the need to apply it. Right now, the fact that maybe I am an undergrad or that maybe I am older has made me more conscious of how I apply critical thinking to writing. I can say for sure that this skills have moved somewhere further in font.
The initial goal I set for myself is to speak better as I tend to forget relevant words. After my final presentation of this module I found that I have made an improvement and gave a presentation that I was proud of. I achieved this by applying the writing skills taught in the module. Skills to communicate information effectively by applying various techniques to convey information.
While preparing for my final presentation for this module, my team's power point slides was critiqued and changes had to be made. After getting critiqued, I found that my slides was much simpler to explain, allowing me to speak clearer for my presentation. Furthermore, carefully taught out sentences, pitches, hand gestures and body posture has helped me feel even more confident in presenting.
The biggest take-away of this module to me is the writing, as this has indirectly taught how to speak better by helping me be clearer in my thinking.
Self reflection on the project
In the project report I found myself struggling as I am more straight to the point. If there is information needed to be conveyed I would prefer bullet points, pictures or a roundabout explanation that is related to real life phenomenon. Personally my writing seems too short or roundabout which is not ideal in formal writing.
In this module with proper guidance on what and how to write, I am able to break down what needs to be done in a more organized fashion. This is useful for me as it serves as a guideline for me not to jump directly into the information but rather take time to write each step of the way. Slowing down and writing summaries or introductions has helped me clarify to myself what needs to be done even further helping me write better reports.
Applying this step-by-step process has allowed both me the reader to further understand what is in the report. Writing an introduction to the report has allowed me to understand a bigger picture of the report to identify what the reader needs to know thus allowing me to write more relevantly. This then further helps to improve my main points.
My take-away from the project is that in any kind of writing by applying a step-by-step approach, I am able to write more relevantly.
Comments
Post a Comment